Other options

Immigration PapersSome potential asylum seekers may have other options for entering the country  including, making a temporary status application, or humanitarian and compassionate application; accessing the federal economic immigration program, Quebec immigrant investor program or provincial nominee programs; or family sponsorship.

Temporary Status Application

  • Study or work permit can be stepping stone to economic immigration
  • Immigration history/status in US and other countries will be examined (must prove intent to enter Canada only temporarily)

Economic Immigration Program

  • Points-based (language, education, work experience, age, financial means)

Family Sponsorship

  • Spouses, children, parents, grandparents of Canadians/permanent residents

Humanitarian & Compassionate (H&C) application

  • Where the applicant’s circumstances, taken as a whole, are sufficiently sympathetic to warrant an exemption from the requirement to apply for permanent residence in the regular manner. 


Provincial Nominee Programs (PNPs)

  • Every Canadian province (except the province of Quebec) operates their own PNP with specific eligibility criteria (e.g. language ability, level of education, work experience)
  • A provincial nomination awards 600 Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points under the Express Entry point-based management system. It therefore virtually guarantees that a candidate will receive an “Invitation to Apply” for Canadian Permanent Residence

Quebec Immigrant Investor Program (QIIP)

  • Quebec is currently the only province in Canada that offers a passive immigrant investor (loan) program.
  • Basic eligibility criteria : possess net assets (obtained legally)  of CAD $2,000,000, have a minimum of two (2) years of management experience, have an intention to settle in Quebec and to sign an agreement to invest CAD $1,200,000 with a financial intermediary authorized to participate in the QIIP.
  • A successful applicant will receive a Quebec Selection Certificate with which he / she can apply to become a Canadian Permanent Resident.