Continuing Programs and Projects
The Board of Governors of the Law Foundation of B.C. met on November 20, 2010 and approved funding for a number of continuing programs and projects.
Chair Margaret Sasges is pleased to announce that funding totalling $7,069,600 was approved for 42 programs and projects:
Funding totalling $1,007,000 was approved for the following 17 continuing programs:
- $75,000, NEWTON ADVOCACY GROUP SOCIETY, Poverty Law Advocacy Services
- $75,000, NORTH SHORE COMMUNITY RESOURCES SOCIETY, Legal Advocacy Program
- $75,000, SHARE FAMILY AND COMMUNITY SERVICES, Poverty Law Advocacy Program
- $75,000, MAPLE RIDGE/PITT MEADOWS COMMUNITY SERVICES, Poverty Law Advocacy Program
- $75,000, NANAIMO CITIZEN ADVOCACY ASSOCIATION, Legal Advocacy Program
- $71,500, LAW SOCIETY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANLII Virtual Law Library
- $70,000, B.C. FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AND PRIVACY ASSOCIATION, Law Reform and Public Legal Education Program
- $70,000, QUESNEL TILLICUM SOCIETY, Poverty Law Information Worker Program
- $65,000, SOUTH PEACE COMMUNITY RESOURCES SOCIETY, Legal Advocacy Program
- UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA
- $60,000 – Graduate Scholarships 2011/2012
- $58,000 – Entrance Scholarships 2011/2012
- $27,500 – Legal Education and Research Projects 2011/2012
- $55,000, UPPER SKEENA COUNSELLING & LEGAL ASSISTANCE SOCIETY, Advocacy Program
- $50,000, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS SOCIETY, B.C. DIVISION, Volunteer Legal Advocacy Program
- $50,000, SALVATION ARMY BELKIN HOUSE, Pro Bono and Justice Services
- $35,000, PRINCE RUPERT UNEMPLOYED CENTRE SOCIETY, Advocacy Program
- $20,000, DEBATE AND SPEECH ASSOCIATION OF B.C. Law Foundation Cup 2011
Funding totalling $303,410 was approved for the following four grants:
- $102,000, PIVOT LEGAL SOCIETY, Poverty Law Clinic
- $96,410,B.C. COALITION OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, CPP – Disability Program and Reception/Intake Coordinator
- $75,000, VERNON WOMEN’S TRANSITION HOUSE SOCIETY, North Okanagan Legal Advocacy Project
- $30,000, FOUNDATION FOR LEGAL RESEARCH, Legal Research Project
For full details of the programs and projects that received funding, please visit
The Board of Governors of the Law Foundation is pleased to announce that Warrren B. Milman has been appointed as a B.C. Branch of the Canadian Bar Association, Appointment to the Law Foundation Board of Governors for a three-year term.
Mr. Milman is a partner in the Litigation Group of McCarthy Tétrault, Vancouver where he practises in the area of commercial litigation, with a focus on insolvency. Mr. Milman joined McCarthy Tétrault in 1992. He received a BA (1985), an LL.B. (1992) and a BCL (1992) from McGill University. Mr. Milman was called to the British Columbia and California Bars in 1993. He is a member of McCarthy Tétrault’s Pro Bono Committee and was formerly President and Chair of Pro Bono Law of B.C. and Vice Chair of Access Pro Bono.
He has also served as legislative liaison for the Class Action Section of the Canadian Bar Association.
This article was published in the April 2011 issue of BarTalk. © 2011 The Canadian Bar Association. All rights reserved.