Something you can do to protect our children’s forests
by Maia Becker
Since the advent of the paperless society in 1970, worldwide paper consumption has risen from 100 to 350 million tons per year. Even with computerization, the legal profession is still among the most voracious of the paper hogs – but you can do something to help.
With simple purchasing choices, you can help protect wildlife habitat, ensure clean water, and keep our forests healthy for generations to come. That choice is to buy FSC.
The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is the international certification and labelling system that allows buyers to choose paper and wood products that come from responsibly managed forests and verified recycled sources. FSC is a set of strict environmental and social standards for forests, and fibre is tracked from the forest or reclamation site to the consumer. The end result is a product in the marketplace carrying the FSC “check-tree” logo. For more information visit www.fsccanada.org.
FSC promotes healthy forests and strong communities. Many organizations – Canada Parks and Wilderness Society (CPAWS), Forest Ethics, Green-peace, National Aboriginal Forestry Association, Sierra Club of Canada, The Nature Conservancy and WWF Canada recognize FSC as the most rigorous and credible forest certification system in the world.
How YOU can Change the World by specifying paper. With every purchasing decision, each and every one of us has the ability to positively influence the health of our forests and our communities. Here are some tips on how you can change the world by specifying FSC-certified paper.
- Buy FSC-certified paper. When purchasing paper for the office or at home, buy paper with the FSC “check-tree” logo. FSC-certified paper is available from all major paper merchants and retailers.
Dye and Durham is the only FSC-certified Law office supplier in Canada. FSC Chain-of-Custody certificate code: SW-COC-002302. Visit www.dyedurham.ca for more info.
For a list of merchants and retailers: www.fsccanada.org/paperretailers.htm
For a list of FSC-certified papers: www.fsccanada.org/fscpaper.htm
- Print on FSC-certified paper, and work with an FSC-certified printer – there are hundreds.
For a list of FSC-certified printers: www.fsccanada.org/fscprinters.htm
- Develop a Paper Procurement Policy for your company that specifies the use of FSC-certified paper and printing.
How to develop a paper procurement policy: www.fsccanada.org/paperprocurement.htm
Examples of paper procurement policies: www.fsccanada.org/ProcurementPolicies.htm
- Encourage others to buy FSC-certified products. Ask local retailers and manufacturers if they carry FSC-certified products, and encourage governments, businesses and associations to specify FSC-certified products in their procurement policies.
For a list of companies printing on FSC-certified paper or buying FSC-certified products: www.fsccanada.org/usingfsc.htm
- Tell everyone. Talk about FSC and your commitment to the environment on your website and in marketing materials. Tell your colleagues, clients, friends and family.
Maia Becker, Vice President, Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Canada
This article was published in the December 2008 issue of BarTalk. © 2008 The Canadian Bar Association. All rights reserved.