The Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia
New Courses and Publications
CLEBC will be presenting several new courses this spring and fall. Strata Property: All Stacked Up will be held on June 5, and will complement CLEBC’s newest publication, the Strata Property Practice Manual. Members of the book’s Editorial Board will present and lead discussions on important strata property law issues including privacy, Strata Property Act section 164 applications and remedies, insurance, “sections” created under Strata Property Act sections 192 or 193, duty to repair and maintain, and human rights. Fall courses under development include China Business Law, Statements by an Accused, and Pro Bono Practice. The latter course will be presented on September 17 in conjunction with the 2nd National Pro Bono Conference, which is being held on September 18 and 19 in Vancouver.
The new Annual Review of Law and Practice, current to January 1, 2008, will be released in late March. The Annual Review is published to update the profession on all major areas of legal practice. Written by B.C. lawyers with recognized expertise in their practice areas, the 17th edition contains 33 chapters, and reviews 2007 legislative amendments, case law and practice changes. This publication is an affordable and reliable way for busy British Columbia practitioners to monitor legal and practice changes during the last year.
The Law Foundation of British Columbia
The Board of Governors of the Law Foundation of B.C. met on December 1, 2007 and approved funding for a number of continuing programs and projects.
Chair, Dev Dley, QC is pleased to announce that funding totalling $4,968,100 was approved for the following 17 continuing programs:
- $3,599,750, LEGAL SERVICES SOCIETY, Operating Grant
- $175,610, DOWNTOWN EASTSIDE RESIDENTS’ ASSOCIATION, Advocacy Services Program
- $167,000, UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, FACULTY OF LAW, First Nations Clinical Program
- $166,920, GREATER VANCOUVER LAW STUDENTS’ LEGAL ADVICE SOCIETY, Operating Grant
- $153,590, B.C. COALITION OF PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, Advocacy Access Program
- UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, FACULTY OF LAW
- $120,000 Graduate Fellowships
- $58,000 Undergraduate Scholarships
- $27,500 Project Grants
- $27,000 Entrance Awards
- $94,000, LAW FOUNDATION LAY ADVOCACY EDUCATION AND TRAINING FUND, Education and Training for Law Foundation-funded lay advocates
- $76,000, LAW COURTS EDUCATION SOCIETY, Northern Public Legal Education Program for First Nations Communities
- $71,500, LAW SOCIETY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANLII Virtual Law Library
- $70,000, B.C. FREEDOM OF INFORMATION AND PRIVACY ASSOCIATION, Law Reform/Public Legal Education Program
- UNIVERSITY OF VICTORIA, FACULTY OF LAW
- $60,000 Graduate Scholarship Program
- $58,000 Entrance and Renewal Scholarships $27,500 Project Grants
- $15,730, DEBATE AND SPEECH ASSOCIATION OF B.C., Law Foundation Cup Debates
For full details of the programs and projects that received funding, please visit The Law Foundation of British Columbia’s website at www.lawfoundationbc.org.
These articles were published in the April 2008 issue of BarTalk. © 2008 The Canadian Bar Association. All rights reserved.