CLE is proud to announce the winners of the annual CBA Section enrolment draws. Members who registered for three or more Sections received free registration for a fourth section, and entry into a draw to win one of four complimentary courses. The prizes and their winners were:
1. Complimentary registration to one CLE Family Mediation course (approx. value $1,200)
WINNER: John Mendes - Lesperance, Mendes Mancuso, Vancouver (Mr. Mendes practices corporate/commercial litigation and opted to take a regular CLE course in lieu!)
2. Complimentary registration to one CLE Civil or Advanced Civil Mediation course (approx. value $1,300)
WINNER: Sharon Morrisroe - West Vancouver
3. Complimentary registration to one regular CLE course (approx. value $365)
WINNER: Gregory McDade - Ratcliff & Company, North Vancouver
WINNER: Stewart Johnston - Stewart Johnson Law Corp, Victoria
Spring promises to be busy with events such as the 2nd Annual Insurance Conference (March 18), the Aboriginal Law Conference (March 1) and the Charter Conference (May 23-24). Watch your mail for more details or visit www.cle.bc.ca.
The Law Foundation of British Columbia
Changes at the Law Foundation of BC
The Law Foundation’s Board of Governors is pleased to announce that Don Silversides, QC has been elected as Chair of the Law Foundation for a two-year term beginning January 1, 2002. In 2001, Mr. Silversides was the Acting Chair, having completed the term of previous Chair Madam Justice Victoria Gray after her appointment to become a Judge of the Supreme Court of BC.
Mr. Silversides is a partner in the Prince Rupert law firm of Silversides, Seidemann & Kucher. He has been a Governor of the Foundation since 1996, and has served as Chair of the Foundation’s New Grants Committee since 1998 and Chair of the Policy and Planning Committee in 2001. Mr. Silversides has also served as a Bencher of the Law Society, on numerous Law Society committees, as Chair of the Continuing Legal Education Society of BC and Chair of the Legal Services Society.
New Executive Director
Don Silversides, QC, Chair of the Board of Governors of the Law Foundation of BC, is pleased to announce the appointment of Wayne Robertson as the Foundation’s new Executive Director. Mr. Robertson’s most recent position was Client Services Manager at Legal Services Society’s head office in Vancouver. Mr. Robertson has extensive management experience and is also a certified family law mediator and an accomplished family law litigation lawyer.
The Board of Governors of the Law Foundation of BC met November 24, 2001. Funding totalling $4,389,450 has been approved for the following 13 continuing grantees.
- BC Coalition of People with Disabilities, (Advocacy Access Program 2002) - $136,900
- BC Courthouse Library Society, (Special One-Time Grant) - $213,150
- BC Freedom of Information and Privacy Association, (Law Reform/Public Legal Education Program 2001/2002) - $20,800
- BC Human Rights Coalition, (Human Rights Advocacy and Education Project 2001/2002) - $132,600
- Debate and Speech Association of BC, (Law Foundation Cup Debates 2002) - $14,300
- Downtown Eastside Residents’ Association, (Advocacy Services Project 2002) - $103,300
- Downtown Eastside Women’s Centre, (Advocacy Project 2001/2002) - $33,000
- Greater Vancouver Law Students’ Legal Advice Program, (Operating 2001/2002) - $121,000
- Law Foundation Lay Advocacy Education and Training Fund, (2002) - $34,600
- Law Courts Education Society, (Northern Public Legal Education Program for First Nations Communities 2002/2003) - $60,800
- Legal Services Society, (Operating 2002/2003) - $3,272,500
- UBC, Faculty of Law, (Projects Grant 2002) - $25,000
- UVIC, Faculty of Law, (Projects Grant 2002) - $25,000
Funding totalling $704,709 was approved for the following 3 new multi-year legal projects under the Major Projects Initiative:
- En’owkin Centre, (Native Justice Project) - $229,500
- Native Courtworker and Counseling Association, (Restorative Justice Data Project) - $121,620
- Surrey Delta Immigrant Services Society, (Law and Seniors Prevention of Abuse Project) - $353,589
These articles were published in the February 2002 issue of BarTalk. © 2002 The Canadian Bar Association. All rights reserved.